March 3, 2013

Fizzy Kiwi Lemonade


The job has been seriously trying to drive me crazy. Not just with floods, bounty hunters, and mystery pizzas. No, on Friday, the landlord was mucking about with the water without telling anyone what they were doing and screwed it up. There was no water on the fourth floor. Visitors would come up to me and ask if they could use they bathroom, and I had to tell them I wasn't exactly sure if the bathrooms on the first floor were functional.

Not to mention that, whatever they were doing was setting off the alarms. Not fire alarms. Shrill, annoying, "hey, pay attention to me, there's something wro-ong" alarms. Going off right by my desk.

Now let me set the scene for you. I work in a four story building. I sit in the lobby, which is in this sort of atrium. Every floor is open above me, all the way up to the skylight. So every. Single. Little. Sound. Echoes. Especially shrill little alarms that go off for four hours straight.

But not continuously. Oh no, I might be able to tune it out if that happened. No, it would go off for 20 minutes, and then it would stop, and I would sigh in relief and try to get some work done, but 10 minutes later:

beep... beep... beep...

I would call the landlord at increasing levels of desperation, asking if they could silence the alarms. It didn't do any good.
That's my special straw. It adds extra fizz.

So when I was pureeing kiwis, and my family asked what I was doing, they thought the job had finally shoved me off the deep end, because I responded, "lemonade."

This drink is light and refreshing. And super fizzy. Fizz, fizz. The kiwi flavor is pretty strong which I like, but I think I'd prefer it a little more lemony. And I love the bright alien green color of it. It kind of looks like something out of Doctor Who, right?

Also, this makes an awesome slushy, if you have a Slush Mug from Think Geek, which I totally do, because I'm an adult. *snickers* Or, instead of adding the seltzer, you can blend the kiwi, lemon, and sugar with some ice.

Fizzy Kiwi Lemonade {Printable Version}
Yield: 6 servings

Ingredients
6 kiwifruit, peeled and coarsely chopped
1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 cup granulated sugar
1 liter seltzer, chilled

Directions
In a blender, puree the kiwis. Press the kiwi puree through a fine mesh sieve, removing the seeds. In a large pitcher, mix together the puree, lemon juice, and sugar until the sugar is fully dissolved. Chill for 2 to 24 hours. Immediately before serving, add the seltzer, and stir until just combined. Serve chilled, over ice.

Recipe adapted slightly from Better Homes and Gardens website