February 22, 2013

Chocolate Pudding Brownies


I know, this week has been weird. Instead of my regular Sunday/Wednesday posting schedule, you got Monday/Friday. Well you know what? Anybody who didn't have to deal with bounty hunters and floods at work can shut their cake hole.

That's right. Bounty hunters and floods. I've got all my facebook friends convinced that my job should be a sitcom. Half the time I think I'm getting punk'd myself. Except I don't think that you could make this stuff up if you tried. See, the sprinkler burst (the working theory is that the movers hit it, but the movers weren't really moving anything tall, I don't really believe that. But since our security company sucks, the cameras don't face the right way, and we'll never know exactly what happened). So the fire alarm starts blaring, and because we had a training class at the time of some of the best and brightest in pharmaceutical sales, I had to deal with the noise, trying to figure out what was happening, and full grown adults coming up to me asking, "what's going on?" and "what should we do?"

These are the people that sell medications to your doctors. I want you to keep that in mind.

Since I work for the facilities management company, once I convinced the trainees that blaring alarms mean you should probably evacuate the building, I called the landlord who told me there was a flood on the first floor. I went to check it out, and the hallway was flooded with this black liquid that kind of smelled like fresh tar. This is apparently the water in the sprinkler system that they will allow to rain on me if there is ever an actual fire. Black. Smells like tar. They keep telling me this is water.

That was a week ago. On Wednesday, I had two bounty hunters come in looking for a woman that had jumped bail and her last known work address was with us.

This is real life, people. My life.

Oh, and did I mention the mystery pizza that showed up? Yeah. When I got in touch with the guy it was for, he tells me that Lynn was the one who ordered lunch, and she didn't order pizza. So I get in touch with Lynn, who tells me that she ordered Mexican, not pizza. Floods, bounty hunters, and mystery pizzas. I'm afraid to see what happens next week.
After all this excitement, I needed something quick and simple to give you guys. I was flipping through some of the recipes that I've collected over the years. Because I'm a hoarder, I kept every recipe that teachers gave out for free, and I found this brownie recipe from my eighth grade Home Ec class.

This is brownie recipe is easy to make, quick to whip up, and super chocolatey. The texture is a bit odd, not precisely fudgy, but not chewy either. But it's perfect for that midweek, I couldn't make up the crap I deal with, chocolate craving.


Chocolate Pudding Brownies {Printable Version}
Yield: 12 brownies

Ingredients
1 (3.3 oz.) pkg. instant chocolate pudding (I used chocolate fudge)
2/3 cup sugar
½ cup flour
½ tsp. salt
2 eggs
½ cup melted butter
¼ cup milk or cream
1 tsp. vanilla extract
½ cup semisweet chocolate chips
Powdered sugar

Directions
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line an 8 or 9 inch square pan with foil, and lightly spray with nonstick
cooking spray. In a large bowl, whisk together the pudding mix, sugar, flour, and salt. Mix in eggs, butter,
milk, and vanilla, and stir until smooth. Fold in the chocolate chips. Spread evenly into the prepared pan
and bake for 25 minutes, or until the edges pull away from the pan. Cool and dust with powdered sugar.

Recipe adapted from my middle school Home Ec class (original source unknown)