January 23, 2013

Strawberry Cake Batter Fudge


You guys want to know something? I love Valentine's Day.

Not because of the actual lovey-dovey crap. It's a teeny bit sickening. Plus, having my birthday the day after Valentine's Day, I'm quite used to getting shunted aside with everyone saying, can't we do it some other weekend because we had plans to be all lovey-dovey, kissy-kissy, I lurves you, stop it before I slap you in the face.

And it's not because I'm in luuuuuuurve, unless you count my imaginary very real oh-so-delusional totally valid yes, I'm really this sad completely healthy love affair with Benedict Cumberbatch. (He, uh, he can't make it to the States for Valentine's Day this year because uh, because he's in New Zealand pretending to be a dragon. Yup, that's it. Rawr.)(I really need a life, don't I?)

No, I love Valentine's Day because of the decorations and the colors and the flavors. I like pink hearts and sparkly cupcakes and chocolate covered strawberries. I like puppies dressed as cupid and cherry cordials and the little stuffed bears holding hearts that make kissy noises when you press them. And I love those little cardboard valentines that you used to give out in school, the cheesier (or nerdier)(or both...ier) the better.

I love everything tacky and cheesy about the holiday. But the second you start getting all real and heartfelt and sappy, Valentine's Day becomes Slapsgiving, we clear?
I used cake mix to make this fudge. But I am not ashamed, because this fudge is so easy to make that the kids can totally help out. And kids know that Valentine's Day is about picking out the best valentine in the bunch to give your crush and the worst to give that weird kid that makes fun of your hair. And also candy.

Strawberry Cake Batter Fudge {Printable Version}

Yield: Approx. 30 pieces

Ingredients
2 cups plus 2 tbsp. strawberry cake mix (I used Duncan Hines)
2 cups powdered sugar
½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into cubes
¼ cup milk
1/3 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips (optional)
Sprinkles, for decorating (optional)

Directions
Lightly spray an 8x8 inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. In a large, microwave-safe bowl, mix
together the cake mix and powdered sugar. Add the butter and milk to the bowl, but don’t mix them in
yet. Microwave for about 2 minutes on high, until the butter is mostly melted. Mix until everything is
well combined. Gently fold in the chocolate chips, if desired (they may begin to melt), and spread the
batter evenly into the prepared baking dish. Press sprinkles into the top, if desired. Chill for about 2
hours, until firm. Cut into squares and store, refrigerated, in an air-tight container.

Recipe adapted slightly from Sally’s Baking Addiction