November 13, 2013

Homemade Spice Cake Mix


This spice cake recipe is a favorite among my family, (even Needy McSnuggles loves this recipe. When I'm eating a piece, he'll get as close to my face as possible and stare at me until I crumble off a little for him) and it's totally season appropriate. So thanks to my weirdo backwards insomnia, I had some time on my hands one morning and decided to mixify it. That way the next time I want it, I can whip it up easy-peasy. Also, because I'm slightly obsessed with homemade mixes, and it would make a great gift.

This time of the year, there are so many short cuts out there using boxed spice cake mix for things like pumpkin bread or spice cookies. I guarantee you, this recipe tastes so much better than boxed. You can have your shortcuts and eat it too. Or something like that.
I did use powdered milk in the recipe because POWDER ALL THE THINGS I had it on hand, but you can totally skip it. Just use milk instead of water when mixing up the cake.

(Slightly relevant) Side Note: my brother asked me the other day what spices were in allspice. I just kind of blinked at him and said, "umm, allspice." I sometimes forget that foodie knowledge does not equal common knowledge.

Secondary Side Note: Sorry if I seem a bit absent lately. 20k words into NaNoWriMo, I don't have many other to spare.

Spice Cake Mix
Yield: Approx. 4½ cups dry mix

Ingredients
2 cups cake flour
¾ cup granulated sugar
½ cup packed brown sugar
½ cup powdered milk (optional)
2½ tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. allspice
½ tsp. ground cloves
½ tsp. nutmeg
½ cup butter flavored shortening

Directions
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together all ingredients except the shortening. Using a pastry cutter (or pulse in a food processor) cut in the shortening until the mixture looks like coarse crumbs. Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place up to 6 months.

To bake: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour, or line with parchment paper, two 8- or 9-inch round cake tins. To the mix add 2 eggs, ¾ cup water (or milk, if you didn't use the powdered), and 1 tsp. vanilla. Mix well. Divide the batter equally between the two cake tins and bake 25-30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely on wire racks.

Based on the Spice Cake recipe from The Good Housekeeping Illustrated Cookbook