With Browned Butter Frosting
Well no more! I'm traveling back to my baking roots with this week's #SundaySupper, hosted by Heather of girlichef. The theme this week is winter squash. So of course I made cupcakes.
Don't question it. Just smile and nod.
The squash has a nice, subtly sweet flavor that actually lends itself well to these spiced cupcakes. It's not immediately noticeable like with sweet potato or pumpkin, but it's definitely there as a sort of flavor undertone, adding a layer of complexity. Plus the squash keeps the cupcakes nice and moist (if a little on the dense side).
If you've never had browned butter frosting, then you have been deprived and that should be rectified immediately. Like right now. At this very moment. March on over to your stove and start cooking that butter. This blog will still be here when you're done; but it's more important that you don't go another minute without mixing browned butter and powdered sugar and then spooning it straight into your mouth.
Butternut Squash Cupcakes
Yield: 24 cupcakes
2 cups flour
2½ tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. salt
½ tsp. nutmeg
¼ tsp. ginger
¼ tsp. ground cloves
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup packed brown sugar
½ tsp. vanilla extract
1½ cups cooked and mashed butternut squash
¾ cup milk
Preheat oven to 350°F. In a medium mixing bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, spices, and salt. In the bowl of a stand mixer, or in a separate bowl with electric beaters, beat the butter and sugar on medium speed until fluffy. Add the eggs and the vanilla, beating well after each addition. With the mixer on low speed, add the flour mixture, alternating with the milk. Beat until smooth, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
Line a muffin tin with paper liners. Fill about ⅔ of the way (about 2 tbsp.) with batter. Bake 15-20 minutes, until an inserted toothpick comes our clean. Cool completely on wire racks.
Recipe by Kim
Browned Butter Frosting
½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
3 cups powdered sugar
⅓ cup whipping cream
¼ tsp. maple flavoring (or vanilla)
In a small saucepan over low heat, melt the butter. Continue to heat, whisking constantly, until the butter turns a light, golden brown. Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
Add the sugar, salt, and maple flavoring to the bowl of a stand mixer and mix together on the lowest speed. Slowly stream in the browned butter and continue to mix until the mixture looks like small peas. Add in the whipping cream, gradually increase the mixer speed to high, and whip until fluffy.
Recipe by Kim
Breakfasts and Breads
- Maple Butternut Squash Donuts from Mess Makes Food
- Pumpkin Sweet Rolls from Basic N Delicious
- Vegan Pumpkin Scones with Maple Nutmeg Icing from Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Butternut Squash and Couscous Patties-Indian Inspired from Soni's Food
- Pumpkin Hummus with Spiced Lamb from girlichef
- Quick Pumpkin Butter from Shockingly Delicious
- Black Bean and Butternut Squash Chili from Supper for a Steal
- Black Bean Pumpkin Soup from What Smells So Good?
- Butternut Squash and Bacon Grilled Cheese from Ruffles & Truffles
- Butternut Squash Soup from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Hearty Quinoa Chicken Stew with Butternut Squash from Citronlimette
- Roasted Buttercup Squash and Black Bean Soup (Dairy free) from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Roasted Butternut Squash and Vegetable Soup from Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- Roasted Squash and Mexican Black Bean Salad from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Roasted Squash and Sesame Noodle Salad from Jane's Adventures in Dinner
- Butternut Squash and Spinach Quesadillas from The Dinner-Mom
- Butternut Squash Gnocchi with Balsamic Brown Butter from Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Butternut Squash Lasagna from Hip Foodie Mom
- Butternut Squash-Sage Cream Sauce with Sausage Spaghetti from Daily Dish Recipes
- Carnival Squash with Maple Sausage Stuffing from Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Chorizo-Stuffed Acorn Squash from Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Butternut Squash with Spicy Wild Rice and Queso Fresco from Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Pumpkin Alfredo from Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Pumpkin Enchiladas from La Cocina de Leslie
- Pumpkin Risotto with Bacon, Goat Cheese, and Pecans from The Weekend Gourmet
- Roasted Butternut Squash and Brussels Sprout Pizza from Curious Cuisiniere
- Sausage and Apple Stuffed Acorn Squash from The Messy Baker
- Spaghetti Squash in a Creamy Sausage Sauce from Cookin' Mimi
- Spaghetti Squash Shrimp Scampi from Pescetarian Journal
- Acorn Squash with Cinnamon and Cranberries from Noshing With The Nolands
- Butternut Squash and Apple Crumble from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Butternut Squash Gratin with Sage Pesto & Gorgonzola from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Chorizo and Craisin Stuffed Acorn Squash from Family Foodie
- Parmesan-Roasted Acorn Squash from The Urban Mrs
- Pumpkin Macaroni and Cheese from Big Bear's Wife
- Roasted Butternut Squash with Balsamic Vinegar Honey Butter from Food Lust People Love
- Roasted Butternut Squash with Wilted Kale, Mushrooms and Garlic from Take a Bite Out of Boca
- Skillet Buttercup Squash with Bacon from Magnolia Days
- Slow Cooker Squash and Apples from Mama's Blissful Bites
- Sweet N Spicy Baked Chipotle Butternut Squash Fries from Sue's Nutrition Buzz
- Twice Baked Pumpkin Stuffed Sweet Potatoes from Bobbi's Kozy Kitchen
- Butternut Squash Cupcakes with Browned Butter Frosting from Treats & Trinkets
- Pumpkin Pie Crumb Bars from Pies and Plots
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.