July 31, 2013

Peanut Butter Cookies


I've kind of been on a bit of a mission lately. A mission to create the best classic peanut better cookie recipe. Now, I hesitate to use the modifier "the best," because what I think of is the best isn't necessarily what everyone else will think of as the best.

But according to my taste buds, I think I may have done it. Thick, soft, peanut buttery cookies with a surprisingly light texture, and a sprinkle of sea salt on top. Yum. I like my cookies soft as a personal preference, and I love my peanut butter.

And this recipe is for sure for peanut butter lovers only. There's about 3/4 of a regular sized jar in here. I do not kid when it comes to peanut butter.
Why have I been on a peanut butter cookie mission, you ask? (Or maybe you don't. But for the purposes of this post, I'm going to assume at least one of you is curious). Well, because I need a good base recipe for something I've been planning.

What am I planning, you ask, because you're just a really super curious person.

Well, I'm not telling. Not yet, anyway. But I've done some research and actually haven't seen it anywhere else, so I'm really kind of excited.
Peanut Butter Cookies
Yield: Approx. 3 dozen cookies

Ingredients
3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
2 eggs
1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
1½ cups creamy peanut butter
2½ cups flour
1 tsp. baking powder
Pinch salt
Sea salt, for sprinkling

Directions
In a large mixing bowl with electric beaters, cream the butter and sugars on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add the eggs and vanilla, beating well after each addition. Add the peanut butter and beat until well mixed, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary with a rubber spatula. Carefully fold in the flour, baking powder, and pinch of salt. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 4 hours, or overnight.

Preheat the oven to 325°F. Roll the dough into tablespoon sized balls, and place them about 2 inches apart on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or a silpat mat. With a fork dipped in flour, flatten the dough into disks about 1 inch thick. Sprinkle the tops with sea salt and bake about 15-17 minutes, until the bottoms start to brown, and the dough begins to look dry. Let cool completely on wire racks.

Recipe by Kim