July 7, 2013

Chocolate Chip Scones


I recently discovered the show Nerdy Nummies on Youtube, and not only do I completely envy the host's decorating abilities (I mean, this frozen monkey brain cake? And these Settlers of Cataan cupcakes? I can't even...), but Felicia Day was in an episode. And she made cookies. So Ro, the host, got to make cookies with Felicia Day.

You guys, that's like my dream right there. To make cookies with Felicia Day. Or for. I'm okay with for. Actually, for might be better, since I'm a pretty spazzy cook, and Felicia Day seems to be a pretty neurotic cook, and that might be a very, very bad combination. And plus, I'd probably be slightly freaking out because oh my GAH that's Felicia Day, and she's totally my idol, and she's in my kitchen and we're making cookies and what if I screw up then my life will be totally OVER.

This situation has zero chance of actually happening, and it still manages to give me anxiety. And yet, I still desperately want it to happen. Don't worry, it doesn't make anymore sense to me than it does to you.
Unsurprisingly, given the fact that I'm me, most of my fantasies of meeting celebrities involve me feeding them. Because I know how completely socially awkward I am, so if their mouths are full, there is less chance of me making a complete fool of myself. Plus, while I know that I am incapable of making small talk, I also know that my cooking effing rocks. So I am totally okay with my baked goods making the first impression. And on a full belly, my lack of social skills might seem endearing, rather than awkward. Doesn't everyone want a friend that can bake? Yeah, that's what I thought.

I mean really, who wouldn't want to wake up to fresh baked scones, warm and crumbly, studded with chocolate chips, with a touch of brown sugary sweetness, and that warm, comforting taste of vanilla?

I told you, didn't I?
So Felicia Day, as much as I want to meet you and be your best friend, and bake cookies with you, I might just shove a scone in your face instead of actually saying anything. But trust me, it's totally worth it.

Chocolate Chip Scones
Yield: 8 scones

Ingredients
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
1 tbsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. salt
½ cup cold butter, diced
1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips, divided
1 egg
2-3 tbsp. milk or cream, divided
1½ tsp. vanilla extract
1 tbsp. raw or vanilla sugar, for sprinkling

Directions
Preheat the oven to 415°F. In a large bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender (or rub it in with your fingertips) until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Mix in about ¼ cup of the chocolate chips. With a fork, mix in the egg and 1 tbsp. of milk or cream, until it comes together (the dough will be slightly dry and crumbly, but should press together into a ball. If too dry, add another tbsp. of milk).

Turn out the dough on to a lightly floured surface and knead gently about 10 times. On a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or a silpat mat, shape the dough an 8-inch round. Using a sharp knife, cut into 8 even pieces, but do not separate them. Brush the tops with 1 tbsp. milk or cream. Sprinkle with the raw or vanilla sugar, and press the remaining chocolate chips into the top. Bake 15 minutes, until the tops and edges are golden brown. Remove the scones from the cookie sheet and place on a wire cooling rack, carefully separating them. Best served warm.

Recipe by Kim