December 30, 2012

Homemade Gummies & The Year in Review


2012 is almost at it's close. I can't say that I'm going to miss it. It's been a rough year for me, for my family, for my neighbors, and for the world, I think. There were a lot of tragedies this year, too many to think on. And no series 3 of Sherlock. Exactly how much to you expect me to endure, Steven Moffat? There are only so many Reichenbach theories I can handle.

But the world didn't end, proving that the Mayans just got tired of making their calendar (although we did have some epic storming on Dec. 21st, proving that Mother Nature is the ultimate troll), so here's to hoping that 2013 is a much better year. And I do not want to hear anything about 13 being an unlucky number. Because it's not. It's a baker's dozen. Which is 1+ a dozen. Which is like getting one extra. Which is awesome.
I made a collage. Because collages are cool
Here are your top 10 favorite posts from my first full year of blogging:

  1. Green Tubular Peyote Bracelet
  2. White Chocolate Chip Cupcakes
  3. Dark Chocolate Dreams Cupcakes
  4. Mush Pie (Cookies & Cream Mousse Pie)
  5. Peanut Butter Chiffon Pie
  6. S'mores Icebox Cake
  7. Cookie Dough Truffles
  8. Vampire Fang Cupcakes
  9. Pumpkin Pie Icebox Cake
  10. Cherry Limeade and Lemon Lime Ice Pops
The most pinned on Pinterest was Cookie Dough Truffles.

You guys with your mad Google skills never failed to keep me entertained with your search terms. Here are some of my favorites:
  • "Why does the Doctor love bananas?" Because of my banana strawberry milkshake muffins, apparently
  • "What is a Whedonite?" Thaaaaaaat's me!
  • "Cheesy jokes" This searcher and I should be friends
  • "Homemade gifts for Whovians" Cookie Bouquets?
  • "Can a grandma wear steampunk?" Yes. Obviously.
  • "Banana Muffin Terrorist" I will now refer to myself as such. Because I terrorize with wholesome breakfast foods.
2012 was not a great year, but having this blog and the wonderful foodie community to turn to made it a little bit easier to bear. Here's hoping for lots more food and friends in the new year.
But you don't care about that. You're here for my super awesome, semi-geeky, homemade gummies. I had actually meant to post these before Christmas, but I ended up being way too busy. Still, they were too cool not to share. And so super easy. Three ingredients, and they take about 10-20 minutes hands-on cooking time. Then 8 hours to chill and set. Then 24 hours to crystallize. But it's not like you have to do anything while they chill, set, and crystallize. Unless you're like me and check on them obsessively. But I have a neurosis, so don't follow my example there.

And yes, those are R2-D2 and Batman gummies you see there. Because I have the silicone ice-cube molds from ThinkGeek, and they ended up working great as candy molds. I also made a bunch of Christmas trees for presents, cut some into squares, and cut some into strips to make gummy worms. Because I could.
But Batman came out the best. Because Batman is awesome. Just make sure to spray your molds with non-stick cooking spray, and the gummies pop out easy-peasy. And you can make them any flavors you want, so long as you have the extracts. And with all the recipes for homemade extracts out there, the sky is really the limit.

Homemade Gummies {Printable Version}
Yield: About 3 dozen gummies

Ingredients
3 envelopes unflavored gelatin
1¼ cups cold water, divided
2 cups sugar
Food coloring
Flavored extract (such as lemon, peppermint, raspberry, etc.)
Approx. 1/3 cup additional sugar

Directions
Lightly spray your candy molds* with non-stick cooking spray. In a large bowl, sprinkle the gelatin over ½
cup of cold water and allow to soften. Add the remaining water and sugar to a small saucepan and heat
on high until boiling. Reduce heat and simmer for about 5 minutes, until the sugar is dissolved and the
mixture is thickened slightly. Whisk the sugar syrup into the softened gelatin and continue to stir until
the gelatin is completely dissolved.

Divide evenly into 4 (or more) small bowls. Tint each bowl with 4-5 drops food coloring, and ¾ -1 tsp.
extract, and stir until well mixed. Carefully spoon into the prepared molds and refrigerate about 8 hours,
or until set.

Carefully remove the gummies from the molds and toss in the additional sugar. Place on waxed paper
and let stand at room temperature for 24 hours to crystallize. Store tightly covered at room
temperature.

*Silicone ice cube molds work well. Or use mini loaf pans and cut the gummies into even squares.

Recipe found via BettyCrocker.com
If you eat a Batman gummy on midnight on New Year's Eve, the new year will be awesome. Truth.