January 26, 2014

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Waffles


I've been in a sort of waffle state of mind lately. I keep thinking about waffles and making them. I keep wondering, "would this be a good flavor combination for a waffle? Would this work if I added it to waffle batter? I wonder if I can put these in the waffle iron."

So when the insomnia monster hit, it was no surprise that I decided to use my not-sleeping time to make waffles.
The only question was what kind? I'd been playing around with the idea of a pizza waffle, but that just seemed too complicated for my no-sleep addled mind. Then the idea came to me: peanut butter. You don't really see peanut butter waffles that often, and it sounded really good to me at the time. I decided to use whole wheat flour to help give it that crispness and heartiness, buttermilk for a good rise, and chocolate chips because, well, duh.
The waffles came out just as I had imagined: crisp, chock-full of peanut butter and chocolate chips. The waffle itself isn't overly sweet, so syrup, powdered sugar, or honey is a must on these puppies. Or you can eat it like I did, with strawberries, extra chocolate chips, and a chocolate peanut butter drizzle (a spoonful of peanut butter and a few chocolate chips melted together in the microwave). I used fruit so that's the healthy way to eat it, right?

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Waffles
Yield: 4 waffles

Ingredients
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1 egg
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Directions
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt. In a separate bowl, mix together the buttermilk, peanut butter, egg, and vanilla extract. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until a batter forms (some lumps are fine). Fold in the chocolate chips. Cook in a waffle maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.

Recipe by Kim