January 29, 2014

Pepperoni Pizza Waffles


So, remember how I told you that I've had waffles on the brain lately? And how I'd been playing around with the idea of making a pizza waffle?

I found a recipe.

You guys, this is ground breaking. This means that someone else in the world has a brain that works like mine.

I mean, I've seen plenty of people who make actual pizza in the waffle maker. But that's still pizza. I wanted a pizza flavored waffle. And that's what I got.
These waffles are a fun alternative to garlic bread or breadsticks. Serve them with prepared tomato sauce (I happened to have a pot of gravy in the fridge) for dipping. Best part is, they're super quick to make. They just use pancake mix, grated parmesan, shredded mozzarella, diced pepperoni, and seasoning. Mix it all up with some water and olive oil and slap it into your waffle maker. Ta da, pizza waffles.

I added extra oregano and garlic to mine, since that's how I like my pizza. Feel free to jazz it up however you like.
I actually like these better after they've cooled; all the flavors are more prominent.

Pepperoni Pizza Waffles
Yield: 4 waffles

Ingredients
2½ cups pancake mix (I used Krusteaz Heart Healthy)
1½ tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. dried oregano
½ tsp. dried basil
½ tsp. dried parsley
1½ cups cold water
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 cup shredded mozzarella
¾ cup finely grated parmesan cheese
¾ cup diced pepperoni
Nonstick cooking spray, or more olive oil, for greasing
Prepared tomato sauce, for dipping

Directions
In a large mixing bowl, mix the pancake mix and spices. Add the water and olive oil and mix until combined (some lumps are fine). Add the cheeses and pepperoni, mixing until well incorporated; the batter will be very thick. Grease your waffle maker well and cook according to the manufacturer's instructions. Serve with prepared tomato sauce.

Tip: The batter is very thick, so spread it out a bit before closing the waffle maker. Grease the waffle maker well between waffles to prevent the cheese from sticking if it melts out.

Recipe adapted from Mrs. Fields Secrets