September 22, 2013

Apple Spice Waffles #SundaySupper


Today's #SundaySupper is all about fall foods.

We've already established the fact that I'm not the hugest fan of pumpkin, but I love the warm spices prevalent at this time of year; the cinnamon, the nutmeg, the ginger and all spice. And I love love love apples. Especially the fresh picked ones, yum.

I don't cook with apples too often since I'm generally too lazy to chop them, and I don't like when they get mushy, as often happens with cooked apples. But I love appley baked things like apple muffins and apple cake.

And these waffles, they totally taste like apple cake. But better since they're ready in 10 minutes and you can eat them for breakfast.

Since I don't make waffles that often, I started with a reliable base recipe, from you know where. Then I subbed in some whole wheat flour, added about a cup of diced apples, some brown sugar, some apple pie spice, and I replaced the oil with browned butter.

Oh yeah, they're as good as that ingredient list suggests. A totally decadent, season appropriate breakfast treat.
Apple Spice Waffles
Yield: 8 waffles*

Ingredients
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp. apple pie spice
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 cups buttermilk
2 eggs
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup browned butter
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup diced apples

Directions
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flours, spice, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a separate bowl, mix the buttermilk, eggs, sugar, browned butter, and vanilla extract until smooth. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until a batter forms (some lumps are fine). Fold in the diced apples. Cook in a waffle maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.

*My waffle maker is on the small side; if you have a larger waffle maker, you might get closer to 6 waffles

Recipe adapted from The Good Housekeeping Illustrated Cookbook



Celebrate fall with the rest of the #SundaySupper crew:

Amazing Breakfasts, Brunches, and Breads
Outstanding Soups, Starters and Sides:
Comforting Main Dishes:
Decadent Desserts:
Tasty Drinks: