June 3, 2012

Sunday S'mores: Hot & Cold S'mores


Welcome to my first Sunday S'mores post! I'm going to keep this short and sweet today because I'm not entirely sure how long I'll be able to stay coherent. (Migraine medication, yay!).

If you've just stumbled onto this post, every Sunday in June, and possibly the rest of the summer, if it goes well, I'll be doing s'mores-themed treats, and holding a s'mores link-up party.

To start us off, we have Hot & Cold S'mores. When I was little, we used to get this spicy chocolate spread from Suzie's Hot Sauce. I used to make what I would call cold s'mores with it. They don't sell the spread anymore, so I made my own using this recipe from SugarHero. Just add graham crackers and Fluff, and you have a quick and easy summery snack.

And don't forget, the last day to enter my giveaway is tomorrow!
Hot & Cold S'mores {Printable Version}

Ingredients
For the chocolate spread:
½ cup sugar
¼ cup water
1 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
¼-½ tsp. chili powder*
Pinch salt
10 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened and cubed
4 oz. bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1 tsp. vanilla extract


Graham crackers
Marshmallow Fluff (or comparable marshmallow crème)


Directions
Prepare the chocolate spread: In a small saucepan over medium heat, add the sugar, water, cocoa
powder, chili powder, and salt. Stir until smooth. Continue to heat, stirring frequently, until the mixture
reaches a simmer. Remove the pan from heat and add the butter, chocolate, and vanilla. Stir until the
chocolate and the butter are melted and the mixture is completely smooth. Add to a jar or container
with an airtight lid and refrigerate a minimum of 2 hours, until thickened.


To assemble: Generously slather one graham cracker with the chocolate spread and another with Fluff.
Sandwich the two together. Shove in face. Lick fingers. Repeat.


* ¼ tsp. is just enough to get a little heat in the back of your throat. Up it to ½ tsp. if you like spicy, or feel free to omit altogether if you’re not a sweet & spicy fan.

 
Chocolate spread recipe adapted from SugarHero.com