February 3, 2013

Nathan Fillion's 7 Layer Bean Dip of the Gods (Go Browncoats!)


On the DVD of Dr. Horrible's Sing-A-Long Blog, there is not only a commentary, but a musical commentary. Commentary! The Musical. (It's a three-part webseries about a singing supervillain. Go with it.)

During Commentary! Nathan Fillion sings a song. A sea shanty, if you will. That his pirate mother used to sing to him. All about how he's better than Neil Patrick Harris.

 

In this sea shanty, there's a lyric that goes like this:
"He makes 7 figures,
And gets Emmy nods.
I make seven layer bean dip of the gods!"

Well, a little ways back, Nathan decided to share the recipe for this, the holiest of dips, on Twitter.
And being as there's a certain kind of sporting event going on today during which people apparently eat a lot of dip, I decided that I would share this sacred knowledge with you, straight from the man himself. (My changes are in italics)
Ready, Cap'n Tight Pants!
  1. Layer one: Large can of fat free vegetarian refried beans.
  2. Layer two: mix taco seasoning into low fat sour cream and spread over beans.(I used full fat sour cream and Mrs. Dash Fiesta Lime Seasoning Blend, with a little added chilli powder, cayenne powder, garlic powder and paprika)
  3. Layer three: four large diced tomatoes (use your jug dement for adequate coverage. (I ended up using only 2. You could also use a well-drained can of diced tomatoes)
  4. Layer four: Guacamole. (I use avocados mixed with Herdez mild salsa). Tomatoes will anchor the sour cream layer. (I made more of a classic guacamole. Avocados, lime juice, cilantro, garlic, and fresh salsa. You could also use premade.)
  5. Layer five: one cute little can of diced green chilies. Suggest wee flinging through fingers for even spreaddage.
  6. Layer six: one cute little can of black olives. Same technique for spreaddage. (I didn't use olives. I don't like them. Don't judge me. I added some scallions instead. Because REASONS)
  7. Layer seven: shredded Mexican cheese mix. Or to taste. I use a whole bag.  
  8. Casserole dish for dip, and a strong chip like Mission Rounds. Dip is thick- will destroy lesser chips. Maybe stock up on Beano, too.
I also added some shredded lettuce to the top, some more fresh salsa, and I made it pretty. Because I'm a food blogger and that's how we roll.
 Look at those lovely layers. This is some epic dip, people. Epic.

I actually made this to bring to a friend's house today. But we're not going to be watching football (except, I'll probably make them turn it on during the second quarter to see the new Star Trek: Into Darkness trailer. And I'll do my very, very best to resist my fangirly instincts and not slap anyone when it comes on. I maybe sort of beat up the bestie a little bit when we saw the trailer before the Hobbit). We're going to be playing board games. I think the estimable Mr. Fillion would approve.
 And since I know you're all wondering what to get me for my birthday coming up in less than 2 week, I'm going to make it easy on you: You can donate to the Hurricane Sandy NJ Relief Fund.