August 12, 2012

Sunday S'mores: S'mores Cinnamon Rolls


We're almost to the end of Sunday S'mores, my friends. There are only two more after today. The last one is going to be September 2nd. I was going to end with the last Sunday in August, but September 2nd just happens to be my little cousin CC's first birthday party, and I'd be making something anyway, so I figured, why not do something s'mores-y and go out with a bang?

I have to admit, I will miss Sunday S'mores, even if I'm starting to feel a little s'mores'd-out. Apparently there are a billion and three ways that you can put together the traditional graham cracker, chocolate, and marshmallow combo, but I'm starting to have trouble coming up with new ways. *laughs*

So take the next few weeks to bid a fond adieu to Sunday S'mores. Maybe I'll come up with a new weekly series for fall. Any suggestions.
I had not actually planned to do S'mores cinnamon rolls when I started out this week's Sunday S'mores. I had planned on doing a S'mores roulade. But once again, planning and I proved why we never work well together. So I went hunting through the kitchen for inspiration and saw a can of Pillsbury cinnamon rolls. I guess I was still in a kind of a roll mood, since that sounded like an excellent idea. So I decided on a graham-cracker roll, with a chocolate chip filling and a marshmallow drizzle.
I'm not gonna lie. Yeast doughs frighten me. But I have Max (my bread machine), so I just shove everything in him and set him on the dough cycle (that sounded terrible. Sorry Max!). I'm a wuss, what can I say? If you don't have a bread machine, just follow the mixing and kneading instructions from any reliable cinnamon roll or sweet dough recipe. I'm afraid I can't comment on that since I'm more of a scaredy-cat than Needy McSnuggles.

S'mores Cinnamon Rolls {Printable Version}
Yield: 15 cinnamon rolls
 
Ingredients
For the rolls
¾ cup warm water (approx. 110°F)
1 tbsp. instant or active dry yeast
2 cups all-purpose flour
1½ cups whole wheat flour
½ cup finely crushed graham crackers
½ cup cinnamon sugar (or 1/3 cup sugar plus 2 tsp. cinnamon)
½ tsp. salt
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/3 cup butter, softened


For the filling
2 tbsp. butter, softened
¼ cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
½ cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips


Marshmallow topping and extra chocolate chips, to decorate


Directions
Prepare the dough: Add the yeast to the water and let activate for 10 minutes (skip this step if using
instant yeast). Add all the ingredients for the rolls to a bread machine and set on the dough cycle. When
finished, turn out onto a lightly floured service and let rest, covered, for 10 minutes. Roll the dough out
into a rectangle approximately 10x15”.


Prepare the filling: Spread the butter evenly over the dough. Combine the rest of the filling ingredients,
and sprinkle evenly over the dough.


Roll the dough into a log, starting from the long side of the rectangle, and pinch the edges to seal.
Grease a 9x13” baking dish with butter or cooking spray. Cut the log into 15 1” pieces and place in the
baking dish, leaving a little space between each piece. Cover lightly and let rise for 30 minutes or until
doubled. Bake at 350°F for 25 minutes, or until the tops are golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 5-10
minutes. Drizzle with marshmallow topping and chocolate chips and serve warm.


Tip: To make your own marshmallow drizzle, heat marshmallow crème (Fluff) and a little bit of water in the microwave for a few seconds.


Recipe by Kim