July 29, 2012

Sunday S'mores: S'mores Whoopie Pies


It's almost time for the August session of Camp NaNoWriMo! In case you've forgotten, I started Sunday S'mores as a way to celebrate Camp NaNo in June. And then real life turned into a total suckfest. To tell you the truth, I only got about 2000 words written in June (out of the 50,000 I was supposed to write).

It's tough, because I'm not as excited as I usually am for anything NaNoWriMo. You haven't really known me during a session of NaNo. I love it. There's nothing like it. Camp's a little more laid back than the regular session (which is probably why I've never won a Camp session), but you can still find me chanting, "Write or Die!" or spouting Baty-isms (my favorite goes something like, "For every word you delete, a NaNoWriMo angel plummets, screaming, to the ground where they will most likely require medical attention." We're a special breed).

But as August gets closer, I find myself feeling an unusual trepidation. Because I can't help thinking "if." If I hadn't fallen behind in my wordcount... If I had written 1,667 words on day 1 instead of procrastinating... If I'd plotted out the story beforehand... Logically, I know that it wouldn't have made any difference, but it still haunts me.
So, since it's the last weekend before Camp, I made whoopie pies, because whoopie pies make everything better, right? Whoopie pies are going to fix everything.

I made up the recipe for the cakes, and to my surprise, they really do taste like graham crackers, except fluffy and moist. Then I whipped up some of my no-fail marshmallow filling, and used the fudge sauce I had left over from last week.
I don't know why some people use whoopie pie pans and a pastry bag for the filling. I always thought that half of the charm of a whoopie pie is it's rustic look. But of course, that could be because the first time I had a whoopie pie was at an Amish farmer's market. There's a lot of beauty in imperfection.

S'mores Whoopie Pies {Printable Version}
Yield: 17 whoopie pies (34 individual cakes)
 
Ingredients
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. ground cinnamon
½ tsp. salt
½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
½ cup solid white vegetable shortening (Crisco)
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
2 tbsp. honey
2 tbsp. milk
1 recipe Marshmallow Whoopie Pie Filling
Approx ½ cup fudge sauce


Directions
Preheat the oven to 350°F. In a large mixing bowl, combine flours, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
Set aside. In the bowl of a stand mixer beat the butter, shortening, and sugars at medium speed until
fluffy. Add the eggs and vanilla, beating well after each addition. Add about half of the flour mixture to
the butter mixture and beat on low until just combined. Mix together the milk and honey and add to the
batter. Add in the rest of the flour mixture and beat on low until smooth.


Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silpat mat. Drop the batter by the tablespoonful on the
cookie sheet, leaving at least one inch between each. Bake for 9-10 minutes, or until the cakes spring
back when lightly pressed. Cool completely on wire racks.


Sandwich the fudge sauce and filling between two cakes and serve.


Recipe by Kim



Food Holiday Link Party