February 12, 2012

Valentine's Day Mini Doughnuts

Pin It

I've been lazy lately, I know. It's not that I haven't been baking, cause I have. It's just that I haven't much felt like taking photos and writing recipes and trying to be witty as I share anecdotes from my life (it's okay if you don't think I'm particularly witty. I try.). It also doesn't help that I was working on a super secret surprise project for someone that took up a good chunk of my week. Realistically, I could have taken pictures of that and shared it, but then I'd share it with that person because I am terrible at keeping secrets and then a certain someone would be mad and it would all be ruined just because I was too lazy to make two things this week.


I really did want to make something today; I didn't feel forced or anything, but I wanted it to be something quick and simple. The plan was originally for ricotta cookies, but then I found an old container of ricotta and tasted it to see if it was okay and it was rancid and that kind of turned me off of ricotta for the day.


I then decided that I wanted chocolate. But not chocolate cake- I'm actually not much of a chocolate cake fan. I wanted actual chocolate. So it would have to be something with chocolate chips. I then remembered my mini doughnut pan and decided to make mini chocolate chip doughnuts.

The recipe is based off of my almond cupcake recipe- basically halved and tweaked slightly. And not almond. The big thing you have to remember when using a mini doughnut pan is to not overfill, which is very easy to do since the cavities are so small. The easiest way to fill it is to put the batter in a zip-top bag snip the corner, and pipe it in, being careful not to fill it more than half way.
When these were finished, I decided to glaze them with a simple powdered sugar glaze- water and powdered sugar, easy-peasy- and decorate them with these cute heart sprinkles that I got from Michaels for that super-secret project I mentioned above. All-told, these took me about half an hour to make. Mostly because I didn't stop to take pictures. *whistles innocently* My birthday's on Wednesday- that means I'm allowed to be lazy, right?

Chocolate Chip Mini Doughnuts {Printable Version}
Yield: 24 mini doughnuts
 
Ingredients
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. salt
½ cup unsalted butter, softened
½ cup sugar
1/3 cup sour cream
1 egg
½ tsp. vanilla extract
½ cup semisweet mini chocolate chips
Powdered sugar glaze (optional)


Directions
Preheat the oven to 350°. Spray a mini doughnut pan with non-stick baking spray. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside. In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter and sugar together at medium speed until fluffy. Add the sour cream, egg, and vanilla extract, beating well after each addition. Add the flour mixture and continue to beat until smooth. Fold in the chocolate chips. Transfer the batter into a plastic zip-top bag and snip a ¼ inch opening in one of the corners. Use the bag to pipe the batter evenly into the prepared pan. Be sure to only fill each cavity about half-way. Bake for about 9 minutes, until the doughnuts spring back when pressed. Let cool in the pan for about 3 minutes, and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Dip in glaze, if desired, and serve.


Recipe by Kim